Orford, Gedgrave and Sudbourne Hall Good Neighbour Scheme
Looking out for your neighbours is part of life in the rural community of Orford - but what if your neighbours are holiday lets?
In a changing community with fewer full-time residents, some have worried about keeping alive the very life blood of Orford - its community spirit. When local GP Lindsey Crockett enthused about the success of the Good Neighbour Scheme at nearby Hollesley it struck a chord. From a group of keen residents, a working committee of three was formed and the scheme became a reality with generous financial support from local charity New Orford Town Trust and the support and expertise of Community Action Suffolk (CAS). Launched in January 2020 with thirty volunteers the Scheme quickly adapted to meet the challenges of the Covid-19 Pandemic. Between January and July 2020, the Scheme has carried out over 350 requests from more than 110 residents. In these rapidly changing times, the Scheme will continue to adapt to meet the needs of the local population.
The Scheme offers the following services:
- Friendship and companionship
- Transport and support with GP and hospital appointments (sorry, we are unable to do this during the Covid-19 pandemic)
- Collection of medication from the Peninsula Practice
- Dog walking / feeding pets
- Form filling and help with technology
- Minor household repairs
- One-off garden tidy
- A healthy meal
- Other activities as requested and agreed
Telephone 01394 450235